- This event has passed.
Russia Resurgent (Course @ Osher Lifelong Learning Institute)
January 8, 2015 @ 11:45 am - 1:45 pm EST
RUSSIA RESURGENT: A Six-Session Senior College Course
Betsy Mayberry, Facilitator
Osher Lifelong Learning Institute Winter Term
Thursdays, 12:45 – 2:45 pm
January 8 – February 12, 2015
To register, please click here.
The Camden Conference and the World Affairs Council are two Maine organizations founded to promote understanding of world events and other nations and cultures. In Portland they are partnering to offer a number of events consistent with their respective missions.
The format for this course will be six presentations, followed by discussion of subjects related to the Camden Conference’s February 2015 focus, “Russia Resurgent.” Each week will feature an expert in issues related to Russia, including, but not limited to, the people, history, economy, politics, and Russia’s relationship with her neighbors and other world powers.
- January 8, The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union: 1917-1991, with John Doughty, R. M. Davis, Inc.
- January 15, Experience-US Embassy/OSCE, with Mike Wygant, World Affairs Council of Maine
- January 22, Russia and America in the Arctic: Conflict, Rivalry or Cooperation, with U Maine Professor Paul Holman
- January 29, Collapse of the Soviet Union and the End of the Cold War: 1992 On, with U Maine Professor Louis Sell
- February 5, Russia’s People, Culture and Economy/Rule of Law, with USM Law Professor David P. Cluchey
- February 12, Religious Freedom/Politics and the Relationship between Russia and the “Near Abroad” with Rev. Samuel M. Johnson, Retired Professor/Member of Board-Moscow Theological Seminary
Betsy Mayberry serves on the board of the Camden Conference and the Development Committee and chairs a Camden Conference Portland Area Community Events Committee. This Committee is working with seven Portland area libraries and five retirement villages to develop community events related to the Camden Conference theme, “Russia Resurgent.” She is also a member of the World Affairs Council.